Effects and causes of global warming
The Earth’s surface warms up during the day and cools down at night, releasing the heat in the form of infrared radiation IR out of the atmosphere into space. But before all these infrared radiation can escape out of the atmosphere into the space, they are absorbed by greenhouse gases (GHG’s) present in the atmosphere. The absorption of these radiations by greenhouse gases makes it possible to keep this planet warm for humans. Without Greenhouse effect, the temperature of this planet would be lesser by 30 degree Celsius and this would be too cold for us to survive.
Greenhouse gas pollution, through its contribution to global climate change, presents a significant threat to Americans’ health and to the environment upon which our economy and security depends.
The major greenhouse gases (GHG’s) solely responsible for greenhouse effect are Carbon dioxide, Ozone, Methane and Water vapor. Although these gases comprise 1% of our atmosphere, they act like a thick warm blanket outside that surrounds this planet and regulate climate control. Greenhouse effect is not bad. In fact, it is needed for all of us to survive on planet Earth. In short, the greenhouse effect is nothing but a naturally occurring process designed by nature that aids in heating earth’s surface and helps to maintain ecological balance.
Now, while some of that heat dissipates into space, some of it burns along the atmosphere, and some of it penetrates the atmosphere and finds its way into the lower atmosphere and the planet’s surface. This in turn raises the average temperature of the Earth. Therefore, the increase in the Earth’s surface temperature due to increase in the number of greenhouse gases leads to global warming.
1. Burning of Fossil Fuels: Fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas have become an integral part of our life. They are used on large basis to produce electricity and for transportation. When they are burnt, the carbon stored inside them is released which combines with oxygen in the air to create carbon dioxide. With the increase in the population, the number of vehicles have also increased and this has resulted in increase in the pollution in the atmosphere. When these vehicles run, they release carbon dioxide, which is one the main gas responsible for increase in greenhouse effect.
- Just read Lawn & Garden reviews 2021
What are the effects caused by global warming?
1. Ocean levels are rising
2. Glaciers melt in the north
3. Polar bears get endangered
5. Natural storms and tornadoes
6. Earth increases in temperature
7. More deserts are forming
8. Too much co2 is trapped in the air, which leads to acid rain.
9. People would not have enough food and water to drink and eat
10. People can get many different kinds of health problems
where can i get information about the effects and causes of global warming? | Yahoo Answers
An interesting solution is to watch the movie An Inconvenient Truth .It is an award winning documentary about global warming presented by former presented by former United States Vice President Al Gore and directed by Davis Guggenheim.